Monday, February 07, 2011

How To Photograph A Fun Valentine's Card

I love making Ian's Valentine's cards. We usually do something simple. He lasts through about four and then I finish the rest. This year I decided to try something different. I found the idea online, showed him the photo. He got a trip to the park for a little posing and I took care of the rest.

Settings and camera mode aren't as important for taking this photo as getting really close to his fist to achieve the fun distortion.
  1. Grab your widest lens (smallest mm # on the lens). I used my Canon 17-40mm L.
  2. Shoot in whatever mode you like, even Auto will work for this!
  3. If you choose a wide aperture (small f/ number) his face will blur.
  4. If you choose a narrow aperture (large f/number) more of his face will be in focus.
  5. Have your Valentine outstretch his fist, a bit to the side so his face isn't blocked.
  6. Get as close to the fist as you can while still maintaining focus.
  7. Shoot.
  8. Shoot again, just in case!
I resized mine to 4x6" and added  Jesse Edwards Doodles Hearts Brushes and a little text. I had them printed at Shutterfly and added the line, "Happy Valentines Day 2011 Ian Kennedy" on the back. I love that the date is included.

A quick two cuts along his hand, the addition of a Tootsie Roll Lollipop and Valentine's Day cards are done! He loves them. I love them. And we're done!
I think he was pleased!

11 comments:

Kathleen said...

This is absolutely too cute for words! Brilliant idea! He is a lucky boy to have such a great mom!

Anonymous said...

SO AWESOME! Ella and Luke will LOVE this!

wendy said...

darling katrina! love that idea! i'm at the point where boyfriend/girlfriend gifts are being made (sigh). think we're making truffles. but maybe zo will be up for something like this!

Elena said...

Fabulous idea Katrina! Too bad Brevin isn't into that!

dille2@cableone.net said...

I so heart you!

Esther Andrews said...

They are super!

Patrice said...

That is too cute!

Suzanne said...

So cute Katrina! I did the same thing for Lukey's birthday party last week. His theme was 'magic' and in the photo, he was wearing his little magician's hat. It actually made me think of Ian!

Jodie Allen said...

oh my gosh! if i totally steal your idea (and link to you of course!) would you mind??? I love this! :)

Lisa Smiley said...

oh my goodness. this is so fun! wish i would have seen this before my little mini sessions with my kids!

The Grounds Family said...

Those are awesome!! You are creative, you should have shared earlier so that I could copy you! Thank you for sharing ahh man. I just realized that my youngest is in the 5th grade and is having her last Valentine Party this year..Hmmm might have to do it for my great neices.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails